So about two months ago (maybe even longer) I watched this documentary called Raising Cain(about making boys emotionally strong and competent). On the video I watched a teacher facilitate a discussion with her students. She asked them questions to get them to offer solutions to a problem. Loved the approach so last night as I bathed CJ and Mason I decided to try and get their thoughts( well CJS......) on our issue of NOT Sharing toys and other stuff. Here is how the conversation went:
Background: CJ had just watched Ni-HAO KaiLan on Noggin or Nick Jr. The episode was all about if you have a problem work to solve it. If the problem is your fault say your "Sorry" and work to solve the problem. So he was in the bath singing a song about solving problems. I had a light bulb moment and thought to myself..." NOW IS THE TIME TO APPROACH THIS"......
MOMMY: "Hey guys.. you know I am tired and I do not have all the answers on this problem we have on sharing. When you guys raise your hands to one another to hurt one another because one of you has grabbed something out of the others hands it makes me sad to see you want to hurt one another and I do not know what to do."
CJ: "Well Mommy when you have a problem you have to say your sorry if its your fault and work to solve the problem."
Mommy thinking to herself(I LOVE YOU Ni-HAO Kailan)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Mommy: "Ok that sounds fair."
Mommy: "So what do we do if we have another problem come up where one of you has something and the other wants it??????"
Note: Mason could care less about this conversation... at this point he is having much more fun taking water in a cup and dumping it outside the bath....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mommy to herself: OK I will deal with this water thing in a moment!!!!!!!!!!
Mommy out loud" "OK so how do we solve this sharing problem?"
CJ: " Well why don't we try this...... when one of us has something that the other wants .. you say mommy.. " CJ you have five minutes to play with that and then Mason will have five minutes. Then when the five minutes is over, Mason has five minutes and on and on...."
Mommy thinks to herself( HECK THAT IS A GREAT IDEA)!!!!!!!!
Mommy: "CJ that is a really good idea. Did you hear that at school or on TV?"
CJ: "I don't know."
Mommy: Well let's try this out this weekend. And for now let's tell Daddy all about this great idea you had CJ".
Mommy and CJ smile and are excited. I think to myself. WOW that really is a good idea. Will it work in the heat of a sharing battle?.. stay tuned........
Now back to the water all over the floor..................
See below some random shots from school this week and some pictures from one of Cjs best buddies ( Daniela) bday party. Fun was had by all. Happy Friday.. The sun is shining and we have some fun Easter related activities planned. Love ya, pretty pink mommy Gieselle/Gigi
2 comments:
gigi! your boys are so wonderful... i can't imagine them fighting! it sounds like cj is ready to work on it though! you are a wonderful mommy!
i love your blog, i always love to hear your stories, then i think about how my boys are just a few years behind. I cant wait to hear if the five minute thing works!
Post a Comment