The best things in life are FREE. View of the sky during my lunchtime walk yesterday.
So by now you have seen me write often that I like pretty things. I really do. I love clothes, and cute crafty things and anything kind of pretty. But it is important to be clear that for me it is not all about buying the stuff( ok I do love jewelry and other nice things) but for me it is more about being inspired by a pretty view... a pretty sweater, a nice smelling flower. These things just make my heart sing. As much as I love Anthropolgie for me it is more about the experience of walking through the store (alone) and just taking in the sites of the displays.... the smells.... the music. So as I thought about this post I was reminded that the gift of this recession for me has been even greater awareness that the best things in life are truly free.
My Best Free Things in Life List:
1. My husband's sense of humor. There is so much I love about Chris. One of the things I love most is his sense of humor. He is a freakin' riot! He is quiet guy at first but with time.. you can catch glimpses of this great sense of humor. We laugh a lot in our house. And CJ often says, "My daddy is really funny!" Allow me to offer an example... Friday I was driving to work and hear my Blackberry go off ringing with an email message. As I stop at the stoplight(this is a bad habit I know) I grab the Blackberry and read this note from Chris (who was lead parent that day-
Chris is lead 3-4 days a week, and I am 1-2).. anyway here is the message:
" I felt something in my shoe this am when I got to work. I reached down and pulled out a piece of an English Muffin." Ok maybe not funny to other people but I lost it in my car! His email is sooo typical of our lives right now. Always running , running, running... and I am always pulling out burp cloths, diapers, crayons, goldfish.. you name it. Always pulling stuff out of my work bags, spilling child related items at on my desk during meetings.. that sort of thing.
2. knowledge is free - well most of it is free( especially now with the Internet). On Saturday I attended a free workshop through my church called, Protecting God's Children. It was all about preventing sexual abuse. It was really hard to hear(all the sad stories) but the information was good. This is a bit of a digress from the fun spirit of this entry .. Sorry... thought this information was important to share.
Here is a recap of the information I learned:
1. Look for warning signs that something is wrong or you can not trust someone. Change in behavior( of your kids), someone wanting to be overly friendly with your children. Be suspicious of everyone.
2. Control Access to your kids - get and check references and do backgrounds checks. Know who spends time with your kids. Have face to face interviews with all caregivers.
3. Monitor all programs - monitor things like birthday parties, sleepovers, computer,cell phone, playdates. Daycare events... monitor everything!
4. Be Aware - ask your children questions. Listen to them. Believe what they tell you.
5. Communicate Concerns - if you have a gut reaction or bad vibe believe it. In my training session we watched a video and one dad on it said his daughter was abused and after the fact many parents came forth and said they thought something inappropriate was going on! Hearing that they had concerns and did not act on it breaks my heart! I am sure something like that is hard to do but I still think we owe it to our children to raise concerns.
For more information check out http://www.virtusonline.org/virtus/
Back to this happy post.....
3. Enjoying everyday and special moments can be inexpensive if not free. I really enjoy everyday life and just the regular moments of family. This past weekend my boys got haircuts. I enjoyed just starring at their sweet little faces post haircuts. I adore them. I just ADORE THEM! I get to be their momma and I love it!
3. Enjoying everyday and special moments can be inexpensive if not free. I really enjoy everyday life and just the regular moments of family. This past weekend my boys got haircuts. I enjoyed just starring at their sweet little faces post haircuts. I adore them. I just ADORE THEM! I get to be their momma and I love it!
4. Enjoying fun times with family and friends... again it can be either inexpensive or free. This past weekend we had a great time hanging out as family and enjoyed a great time with friends celebrating the Super Bowl. I am soooo not a sports girl. For me it is all about the details of the event, the food, the decorations,, the people!
and lastly...
5. Nature and enjoying nature can be free. Charlotte is a beautiful place. I honestly often forget how beautiful it can be. Today I took a walk at the Wells Fargo/Wachovia CIC( Customer Info Center). I walked a trail right near my office and near the boys school. I have worked for Wachovia for almost 6 years and have been to the CIC hundreds of times and today was the first day I walked this trail.... and I love it. I am no Mountain Girl..... so this short walk was just lovely and perfect. I enjoyed all the beauty and I thank God for blessing me with the ability to see all my blessings and for knowing that truly the best things in life are free. I would love to hear some of your fave best FREE things.. comment via my comments section or shoot me an email, gigi.pov@hotmail.com...... sending love and a hug Gigi
Friends are free... I adore Amber. She is just as beautiful inside as outside!
Last week I met up with two college friends.. sorority sisters of mine( Delta Phi Epsilon) I still adore them after all these years. Dana and Michele and me....... Friendships are free and a great blessing.
Watching observing your children is free. Here, Mason's latest fave.. brushing his teeth.
I could stare at my boys all day. Here is Mason right before church.
Getting ready to go to church. Mason could barely walk!
My sweet first born and his new haircut. I love this boy!
Mason watching Daddy make Becky's stork meal. Capturing moments FREE!
Mason eating a snack as we get dinner ready this evening.
The simple moments FREE!
Siennah/Sebastian and CJ enjoying Super Bowl Festivities.
Smiles like these FREE.

This is my fave photo( Amber took it). I feel like it captures all the fun of people coming together. Some of my happiest times are being surrounded by family or friends.. and just spending time together. And much of that is free. The yummy food has a price tag but not too expensive.

Chris and Jeremy.. watching the game

What a cute cake!

Another fave picture. Chris wore his black and yellow sneakers to pay tribute to Brian G our host who loves the Steelers. Sneakers not free but the laughter Chris and I shared because of them... FREE
7 comments:
thanks gigi!
: )
I loved the shoes. The next time the Giant are in the Super Bowl, I will wear red, white and blue for Chris.
I love YOU Gigi! You are such an amazing soul and I want you know that YOU inspire me everyday...for FREE ;) ((hugs))
What a great posted!
Thanks for sharing.
Carainn
Hey Gi!
I just absolutely love reading your blog site. I visit alot lately because you always seem to bring a smile to my face (for FREE). I feel like you do so much and in so many ways (especially about being a mommy - what a blessing!).
I truly miss you!!! and love you!! wish we weren't so far apart.
RIA
FREE xoxoxoxoxo coming your way!
Yes, free is good! We love to play outside! Lulu said yesterday, "Mom isn't it nice to get out in the fresh air with us and the dogs?" Great post!
Gigi, you know I am all about finding hidden gems and free fun! Thanks for this post, made me smile! Love, Sarah
Post a Comment